Currently I am working for a company called Second Nature Wilderness Programs. Check it out on their website www.snwp.com It's a therapeutic program designed for at risk youth. I am working for their field department as what they call 'field staff'. I am out with the kids for 8 days; camping, hiking, supervising, and teaching. It is a great experience and I am learning a lot about myself as well as how to build stronger relationships with others. I am recognizing my own weaknesses, and constantly receiving feedback from other staff as to how I can improve. I see amazing results in the kids as they deal with proper forms of communicating their emotions and understanding themselves. It is very fulfilling and it keeps me on my toes. I'll try to include stories from work every now and then, like this week when a kid tried to kill himself. Interested?? :) I can also start a fire with a bow and drill, fun stuff!
With my 6 days off of work I try and stay busy. I am to begin doing Marketing for Sundance's Nature Center soon. I will be doing it for free right now, getting experience and building relations, hoping that it turns into something more lucrative later. They do tours of the wildlife at the resort and educate people how to better care for it. They also do some really fun activities like star gazing to learn constellations and owl watching. Cool ideas for dates and group activities, but not many people know about them. It should be a good experience, though the manager I am working with seems to be dragging her feet, despite her overwhelming enthusiasm when we discussed me helping out. Not sure what will happen there.
I am excited to have 6 days off, it will leave me time to visit you all. Give me a call and lets set something up! I'm not sure how long I will be on this schedule, and it would be nice to take advantage of this time. I will be visiting Nicole, Travis, and the kids a lot, and I will be trying to make it out to Denver to see Andrew. Maybe I can make some stops along the way for those of you that live close?? Or even a special visit!!
I think the "wash hut" has become my new home! It's quiet, no one is here really, just a couple doing laundry, and i get an internet signal, AND there's a bathroom!! These 6 weeks are going to be an experience. What WILL be nice is that half the time I will be in the wilderness working anyway, so it won't really matter.
I am playing volleyball tonight. We have a group that plays every Wednesday night. We have been playing since last September almost every single week. We've probably missed 12 weeks total. 40 out of 52 isn't bad. It's a lot of fun and really good ball sometimes. I'll try and take pictures so I can post them.
Something else that I've done is hike Mt Timpanogos. It's 11, 750 ft and from where we started a 4,000+ foot vertical climb. We hiked during the night to see the sunrise (which is where the picture on the top of my blog comes from). It was a great experience: surreal, fulfilling, and exhausting. I'll put a couple other pictures up. I went with my roommate Jesse, Jordan (my soon to be roommate), and Jesse's girlfriend at the time. We went polar bear swimming in the glacier lake up there as well as roll huge 2 1/2 foot wide rocks off cliffs, trying to roll it into the pond below...nothing more rewarding or fun. :) Love you all!!



No comments:
Post a Comment